Kemiri translated Candlenut, is toxic when ingested raw.
I was walking through the produce isle and found a package of these next to the raw ginger and other spices. I google translated the Indonesian word and discovered it was a nut at least so I thought. I should of got clue from where it was perched. But I was hungry and it was healthy and I was excited to try a different kind of “nut.”
I began to chow down on this unexpected delight. They kinda look like a Macadamia nut in the package only a little bigger and they taste a little more bland. I probably had about 15 of them.
One and half hours later I started shaking, sweating and experiencing dizziness, stomach cramping and nauseous. OMG what did I do?????? I googled again “can I eat raw Candlenuts” … A tumultuous NO started ringing in my ears after I read the definition.
Well it’s a little late now I thought! I immediately had a flashback of the movie “Into the Wild”
I was beyond SCARED!
Damnit is was all in fun until someone gets hurt!
Candlenuts are used in cooking. It’s a spice. When cooked the toxicity dissipates.
Needless to say I got myself to the emergency room.
I am home now. The gifts of these little treasures just keep showing up with frequent visits to the little girls room.
Seriously though I am so grateful. THANK GOD!!! This could of been so much worse.
I think I found the real NUT!